Lithuanian Maritime Academy (LMA) is a modern leader training maritime professionals for our and international maritime sector and a member of the global maritime and academic community. This constantly improving institution trains highly qualified specialists that meet international standards for the sea and ports in Lithuania and the world. The maritime academy that everyone knows and recognizes is at the same time always changing, offering numerous maritime study programmes, scientific and cultural ideas and projects. Initiative, innovations, openness, maritime culture and traditions – these are the major characteristics of the modern-day activity.
Our major goals in the field of studies and training is quality and being exceptional – meeting the requirements of the conventions of the International Maritime Organisation, which regulates seamen’s training. Traditional good training programmes, highly qualified lecturers and classes are not enough to ensure modern study quality. The quality of studies today is identified with the development of the studies, diversity, international context, cooperation with the world of work and… convenient classes, equipped with modern technology. Discussions between students and lecturers take place not only at the auditoriums, but also places of future employment, companies and ‘clouds’.
Change, improvement, new competencies – these are the principles of studying at LMA!
Vision and Mission. Lithuanian Maritime Academy (LMA) is a public institution of higher education training highly qualified seafarers and universal specialists for the Maritime Industry.
LMA – a modern higher education institution offering internationally recognised study programmes, a leader in the field of training specialists of the maritime and inland waterway transport sector in the Baltic States.
To train highly qualified specialists of the maritime and inland waterway transport sector for successful professional activities and career in the national and international water transport sector, by basing the said studies, non-formal adult education and continuing vocational training on maritime culture and traditions and by developing respect for democratic values, responsibility and leadership.
The Quality Management System in Lithuanian Maritime Academy is sertified Lloyd`s Register Quality Assurance according to the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 standard.
Short LMA History
LMA is the only and unique school of higher education in the country with long-term experience in the field of international seafarer training, the history of which started in 1948, when Klaipėda Seafarers’ School was established.
- Lithuanian Maritime school was established on 28 April, 1948.
- In 1991 Klaipėda Maritime School was renamed Klaipėda Higher Maritime School. The school was reorganized to fulfill the needs of all Lithuanian fleet, not only the ones of fishing fleet. On 12 October, 1991 Lithuania adhered to the requirements of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers.
- In 1996, the training base of the school was improved and corresponded to the requirements of IMO STCW Convention.
- In 1998 it was renamed Klaipėda University Maritime Institute College.
- In 2001 it was reorganized into Lithuanian Maritime College – institution of higher education for seafarers, the founder of which was the Government of the Republic of Lithuania.
- In 2008 Lithuanian Maritime College was renamed into Lithuanian Maritime Academy.
- The training basis is continuously renewed, electronic simulators for marine navigators, marine engineers and port specialists are being developed.