The facts

THE LITHUANIAN MARITIME ACADEMY IS THE ONLY INSTITUTION IN THE COUNTRY THAT TRAINS SPECIALISTS FOR THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIES OF WATER TRANSPORT

Seafarers of the leading crew who meet international qualification standards: shipmasters, ship mechanics, and electromechanics.

Specialists of inland water transport: shipmasters, mechanics, rivermen, motorists, and masters of leisure powerboats.

Seaport and logistics specialists: ship agents, freight forwarders, stevedores, financiers, and technologists of marine transport logistics.

IT specialists: analysts of shipping and logistics data.

KEY DATES, CHANGES OF NAMES OF THE INSTITUTION AND LEGAL BASIS FOR THESE CHANGES

Klaipėda Maritime School was established at the premises of the Klaipėda Fish Farming Industry Vocational School on 1 March, 1948 upon the closure of the vocational school (Resolution No. 471 of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of 25 February 1948, Order No. 344/94 of the Ministry of Fishery Industry of the USSR and the Ministry of Higher Education of the USSR).

Klaipėda Maritime Academy began its operation on 8 April, 1948. It was a closed military scientific institution. The cadets were required to live on the school premises, follow a strict regime, and wear a uniform both at school and outside of it.

  • The Seafarer’s School of Klaipėda was merged with the Klaipėda Maritime School on 1 September, 1989, retaining the name of the latter school (Order No. 17/3363 of the CEO of the Productive Association of the Fish Industry of Lithuania ‘On the merger of Seafarer’s School of Klaipėda and Klaipėda Maritime School’ of 20.06.1989).
  • Due to the reorganization and allocation to the regulatory sphere of the Ministry of Culture and Education on 01.09.1991, the name of Klaipėda Maritime School was changed to Klaipėda Maritime Academy (Decree No. 623 p of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania ‘Regarding the Allocation of the Klaipėda Maritime Academy to the sphere of regulation of the Ministry of Culture and Education’ of 10.09.1991).
  • The name of the Klaipėda Maritime Academy was changed to the University of Applied Sciences of the Maritime Institute of Klaipėda University on 15.03.1998 (Order No. 385 of the Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania ‘On Klaipėda Maritime Academy’ of 05.02.1998).
  • After reorganization of the University of Applied Sciences of the Maritime Institute of Klaipėda University on 01.09.2001, the Lithuanian Maritime University of Applied Sciences was established (Resolution No. 1035 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania ‘On the Establishment of the State Universities of Applied Sciences of Klaipėda, Lithuanian Maritime, and Marijampolė’ of 24.08.2001 (Gazette, 29.08.2001, No. 74-2604).
  • The name of the Lithuanian Maritime University of Applied Sciences was changed to the name of the Lithuanian Maritime Academy on 01.12.2008 (Resolution No. 1121 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania ‘On the Approval of the Statute of the Lithuanian Maritime Academy’ of 04.11.2008 (Gazette, 13.11.2008, No. 130-4982).

LMA is the only and unique school of higher education in the country with long-term experience in the field of international seafarer training, the history of which started in 1948, when Klaipėda Seafarers’ School was established.

  • Lithuanian Maritime school was established on 28 April, 1948.
  • In 1991 Klaipėda Maritime School was renamed Klaipėda Higher Maritime School. The school was reorganized to fulfill the needs of all Lithuanian fleet, not only the ones of fishing fleet. On 12 October, 1991 Lithuania adhered to the requirements of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers.
  • In 1996, the training base of the school was improved and corresponded to the requirements of IMO STCW Convention.
  • In 1998 it was renamed Klaipėda University Maritime Institute College.
  • In 2001 it was reorganized into Lithuanian Maritime College – institution of higher education for seafarers, the founder of which was the Government of the Republic of Lithuania.
  • In 2008 Lithuanian Maritime College was renamed into Lithuanian Maritime Academy.
  • The training basis is continuously renewed, electronic simulators for marine navigators, marine engineers and port specialists are being developed.
Scroll to Top